Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do. : Oscar Wilde

Monday, February 8, 2010

Ada Lovelace Day: 24 March 2010

Ada Lovelace was the world’s first programmer.

Last year I was one of thousands of people to offer a tribute to my choice of a woman in science or technology in my blog on Ada Lovelace Day. I wrote about Dr Adele Goldberg. I still haven’t decided whom to mention this year. Part of the reason for this is that it fairly difficult to find candidates from which to choose for the very reason that Ada Lovelace Day is set aside. I mean, we hear a great deal about men who achieve significant goals in science and technology, much less about women. Yet I know they exist. The difficulty is in identifying or being reminded of a few individuals even when you know this.

Will you join me this year? If only to force yourself to experience how challenging it can be to identify a few women in science and technology who are of significance to you go to http://findingada.com/ and pledge to publish a blog item on 24 March about a woman you admire.

0 comments: