Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do. : Oscar Wilde

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Encouraging Lists of Jobs for Job Seekers

One of the blogs I like to read is Careers in Theory. A recent item was about counterfactual thinking. Which made me think about two occasions when job seekers who probably had little acquaintance with computers asked me to show them where our job board was. On each occasion when I said that we used computers for that and I motioned the individual toward a keyboard he quickly but politely ducked out of sight. I have since mused counterfactually that it would have been better had I discarded the assumption that everybody loves these stupid machines.

Lots of employment agencies do display paper job advertisements on their bulletin boards. I'm sure that many job seekers are more comfortable with this medium. However, I suspect that's it somewhat costly to keep them up to date. A fair bit of scissor work is involved.

Here's an alternative. True, it does involve the computer. Fortunately though the work involved is entirely routine once you get started. What you'll get is a listing of sample jobs from indeed.ca centred around your town or city. It will look something like this.


I've chopped the display off at the right to fit here. I've also truncated the last bunch of jobs because there's enough of the display here to give you the idea.

To get the listing you would just run the software, it displays its output to a browser, and you print that output to a printer for display on your bulletin board. You can refresh the list as often as you wish.

Please let me know if you're interested and I will send you the script with instructions. Free of charge. There are more elegant approaches to this problem. As might be expected though they involve more programming effort. If there is enough interest in this little project I'll do my best to find the time to pursue one of those better approaches.





1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Bill,
Would you be able to send me the script and instructions please?