Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do. : Oscar Wilde

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

One Less Excuse for Procrastination

One of my favourite excuses for procrastination has long been that I was allowing time for my unconscious mind to find a solution to the current problem for me, without the need for me to put any conscious effort in. Of course while this unconscious activity was taking place I could be pursuing some other goal with enormous vigour. (And sometimes I didn’t pursue anything at all.)

The problem with this approach apparently is that unconsciously derived solutions remain unavailable to the conscious mind. That is to say, they remain unconscious. If you find the solution when you are conscious it’s not because you found it before during an unconscious period. The whole solution process was more or less conscious. If you follow this line of thought.

Anyway, for this and six darn interesting ideas about releasing your creativity, most of them less painful to learn about than this one, see the PsyBlog entry “Get Creative: 7 More Psychological Techniques”.

0 comments: