Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do. : Oscar Wilde

Friday, July 16, 2010

Did You Know About the LMI Consultation?

I didn't. I discovered the Advisory Panel on Labour Market Information a few minutes ago when I was trying to find Canadian Beveridge Curve information. Unfortunately the panel has already submitted their final report; they did so in early 2009.

It seems to me that CDPs and others in this field should have, and would have, had a lot to say about this topic of study. Although I have only started reading the report there are a number of points in it that I would disagree with or question. One of these would be its assertion that the "private sector has done a very good job in the development of information for matching actual job vacancies and persons looking for work through the internet." In my opinion, the Job Bank is better than its private sector counterparts because it provides a NOC code for each job and good RSS feeds. The NOC codes make it easy to know what the jobs really are and the RSS feeds are easier to follow. As far as valuable missing information is concerned it should be possible to provide Beveridge Curve data by geographical area. In fact, why not give us Beveridge Curve data for aggregates of NOC codes by geographical areas?

I really would be interested to know whether other employment and career advisors had heard about this consultation when it was proceeding.

1 comments:

C. L. Cotton said...

The consultation document, "Working Together to Build a Better Labour Market Information System for Canada" is an interesting read. A statement on page 2 about the character of the Canadian labour market startled me. "The Canadian labour market has become a more fast-paced environment characterized by lower unemployment rates". Lower unemployment rates in 2009! "Lower" is not the adjective I would use. Perhaps living in Southern Ontario coloured my perception of the 2009 unemployment/ employment rates.

From the perspective of a member of the faculty of Conestoga's Career Development Practitioner Program, the document provides an detailed description of the federal government's concept of the labour market. I agree with the five gaps identified on page 10: data, technology, standardization, coordination & dissemination; transformation of the data into the required information. The challenges to updating the Canada's system of labour market information are clearly delineated.

I wonder what action the Forum of Labour Market Ministers (FLMM)are taking? A related issue caught my attention in the news this past week. There is discussion about using an abbreviated Census form. That step seems counter-productive in view of the detailed data need to guide polices on the national and provincial level. Ah well, who am I to understand the workings of government :-)