Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do. : Oscar Wilde

Monday, August 30, 2010

Will Manufacturing Ever Come Back?

Let me say first that some of my best friends have been construction workers, and that I have nothing against the construction industry in general.

Even so, I groan every time I hear "shovel-ready projects" in connection with this recession. For two reasons:
  1. Using this term is a strong hint that the projects will involve construction, and that they will ignore other important sectors of the economy. And thus the workers in them.
  2. Why would governments wait until a recession occurs to look for so-called "shovel-ready projects" rather than planning for inevitable downturns? (I was about to ask whether they had heard of the business cycle but there is ample evidence that 'they' have not.)
We, as career developers, need to be aware of trends. Here's a good discussion about recent employment trends by Professor Stephen Gordon, of the Université Laval Department of Economics: Sectoral shifts and the Canadian recession.

0 comments: