Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do. : Oscar Wilde

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Diigo for Managing Job Search

Diigo is a popular web site for saving bookmarks to web pages that you have annotated and tagged. This makes it an excellent spot for saving job advertisements and cover letters. When you find a job advertisement that interests you highlight the significant features with Diigo, add sticky notes and some tag words too if you would like, and then bookmark the page to Diigo. Diigo will keep your bookmark; it will index the page according to any tag words you have added too.

If you say that it's not worth learning anything new to keep track of your job search then I have a couple of things to say to you:
  1. One of my relatives told me that he went into an interview recently and could not remember which of his résumés he had sent to the employer that was interviewing him. It was embarrassing. It's important to have a system for administering your job search records.
  2. In this economic climate it can take a long time to land a job. Consequently you could have a lot of paper to look after. It's wise to be systematic from the start.
If you use Diigo then I suggest using tag words for keeping track of where you are in the process of applying for the job being advertised. Here's one way. When you first bookmark the job tag it 'unprocessed'. As soon as you have written a cover letter or résumé for it retag it appropriately. Then, when you have completed the other item of this pair of marketing documents add the appropriate tag. As soon as you see both 'résumé' and 'cover' for an advertisement you know that you're ready to apply. When you do that you retag. You can use the comments field provided by Diigo for recording the names of the computer documents that contain the résumé and cover letter for that advertisement so that you can refer to them for an interview. And so on.
  1. Get yourself a Diigo account here.
  2. Once that ordeal is over go to 'Tools' in Diigo and get Diigolet (not the Diigo Toolbar, at least not as far as I am concerned; who needs the screen clutter?).
    • The instructions say only to right-click a button and click "Add to Favorites". There's slightly more to it. After you've right-clicked, and after you've got past the security message as Diigo suggests, select 'Favorites Bar' from the drop-down 'Create in' list. Then click on 'Add'.
    • You might find that the tutorial video is worth watching after you've added Diigolet.
  3. The following graphic shows a portion of a screen displaying a job advertisement I have highlighted to make it easy for me to find the name and email address to apply to. I could have highlighted anything. It also shows part of the Diigo Diigolet menu that offers highlighting, stick notes, commenting and bookmarking.

  4. When I now click on Diigo in the menu I can select 'My library' to see all of my entries, this new item included. In the left-hand menu I can click on the 'unprocessed' tag that I placed in the item to see all of the job advertisements that I have yet to work on. As long as the advertisement remains on the web I will be able to find it via my Diigo account.
Please, let me know what you think.

0 comments: